Unlike the regular licence plates that you can get for a fee, personalized licence plates are custom-made plates that are made-to-order. On these plates, you can have your desired characters printed. Another term that is commonly used for these plates is vanity plates. You can choose to have your nickname, your hobby or your message on the custom plate. At times, people choose a unique message to be printed on the plate. Let’s know more about the subject.
The Vehicle Type
Now, you might be wondering if you can put a vanity plate on your vehicle. Well, not all types of vehicles qualify for the service. According to law, you are not authorized to use a customized plate for your vehicle if the vehicle is a big truck, for instance. The law only allows a certain types of vehicles for the service. However, if you have any of the following types of vehicle, you can order a vanity plate today.
· Light trucks
· Motor homes
· Most types of passenger cars
The Procedure to Get a Personalized Plate
Well, the process is not as complicated as it may seem. If you are interested in buying a vanity licence plate, you can do so by following the steps given below.
First of all, you need to decide on a message, character or name that you want on the licence plate. It can be a slogan or personal message. Make sure you don’t use something that may be against the law. Also, you can’t use something that may hurt someone’s feelings. The message or slogan shouldn’t be against a person. It shouldn’t disturb the peace in any way.
Once you have come up with a slogan or message, your next step is to write an application for the licence plate. You can get a form from your local Autoplan broker. Getting a form won’t be a difficult task.
Once you have filled in the application form, you can take it back to the broker. They will ask you for a fee, which you should pay. Usually, it’s around $100, which is not a big deal.
In order for your application to be accepted, you should keep some application rules in mind. Here are some of the important rules:
· If you have a vehicle, make sure it is registered in your name. In other words, you should be the registered owner of your car or motorcycle.
· If the vehicle has multiple owners, make sure each owner signs the application.
· You have to have an existing licence plate. Besides, you must have insurance and the driver’s licence.
· For the message, you can use 2 to 6 numbers and letters. However, you can’t use numbers only. Apart from this, if your chosen slogan is already taken, you can’t use it.
· You are allowed to have a hyphen or blank space, but you can use only 7 character spaces. For motorcycles, the limit is 6 character spaces.
So, these are a few tips for you to apply for a vanity licence plate for your vehicle.